Three flowers 

becoming, biology, Oil, Painting, Still Life

This piece is close to finished. I have been working on studies from thumbnails in order to get the composition and colors the way I wanted them.

This piece was really designed to test the process. I found that I got to paint almost as much. I have several small studies and a large finished piece as a result. I think the finished piece is stronger than it would have been otherwise. The studies allowed me to try different things with minimal risk. This allowed me to be bolder in the finished piece. 

I still might like to sit down and paint from scratch, but this process is valuable and I’m glad to be using it again.

Thumbnails

becoming, Sketches

So I am starting a new piece. Rather than jump right into the painting, I decided to follow my plan to do thumbnails sketches first. This will be followed by a color study and then I will work the final piece. 

I’m so glad I did this. Even just from the thumbnails I can tell the piece will be better. 

This is the first one. It is what I would have painted. 

There were a few I tossed out, but here’s the third.

And the fifth.

I was pushing myself to do six. I had planned for a 14×18 canvas, but after doing the thumbnails I thought I should try a square. 

This one is the sixth.

I may do studies for #2, 5 & 6. 

Maybe even #1. It’s not so bad, and a good reference point to go with the series. I am so excited about this. This new process has already blown my work out of the water and I haven’t even set brush to canvas. Sure there will be challenges, but the composition of these pieces is stronger, so no matter what happens with the rest of it, the pieces will be stronger too.

Plus, I won’t have to be struggling to find a subject for a while… I’ll post updates as the work comes along…

Tree in field 

becoming, Drawing, Landscape, Oil, Painting, trees

This is entirely from my imagination. Here’s my sketch

I wanted to keep this light. Kind of like the paper but I hadn’t planned my color scheme before I started painting.


At this point I like it, but it was not finished. That was more obvious in person than from the photo. I do need to step away from my work more and earlier. That’s a challenge in a studio as small as mine…


This version was too much the same tone. I worked it a lot from here. Scraped off the tree.. Did a bunch. It didn’t improve it much considering all the work I put in.


I learned a ton from this piece even though it didn’t come together that easily for me. I really should have done a color study after the sketch and had a better handle on my intended palette. I gained somethings and lost some as I finished it. 

Maybe if I do the color studies to bridge between the sketch and the final piece, I’ll be able to keep it looser and it will actually be finished. I’m excited to try a new workflow process. I definitely need to be doing more before jumping into the painting. And I think I have some ideas.

Next I’ll be working on a cooperative piece relating to animal rights with another artist I know. I’m excited to try my new workflow on the joint piece to see how it goes. Good habits go a long way! Now to clean my brushes…